Senior iOS Engineer, Swift, £60-65k, Southampton
About this job
Mid-Level, Senior, Lead
Why should you be excited about working for Benefex?
- Forward thinking product culture where you can have an immediate and visible impact on the product
- Working on a product that has 100,000’s of users and is used by global companies
- Working with the latest tech and solving tough problems
- Remote/flexible working
- Working on products that could not be more relevant in today’s world (Covid-19 and the ability to look after your employees)
- Flexible working, 1-2 days in the office (once the company return to the office at the end of the year)
Who are Benefex
Benefex are leading the way for Employee Wellbeing. They believe no one comes to work to do a bad job or be actively disengaged, and that technology is instrumental in providing an excellent employee experience. They’ve built an all-in-one platform called OneHub that brings together employee benefits software, reward and recognition tech, and workplace communications, so your employees have everything they need for work in one place.
Benefex believe that everyone deserves an exceptional experience at work, every day. Their workplace technology makes this happen.
Fast forward to today and Benefex have partnered with over 250 global organisations to transform how these companies engage with their workforce. Clients include AA, Bank of America, Barclays, BT, Centrica, EDF, Holiday Extras, Skyscanner and many more. Their platform is live in 25 countries supporting over 1 million users. They’re a humble team but they’ve been recognised with over 50 awards for their achievements.
The CEO Matt Macri-Waller and the Director of Employee Wellbeing Gethin Nadin, are well known as thought leaders in the employer wellbeing community; advising business and people leaders on building global employee wellbeing strategies.
OneHub is the all-in-one Employee Experience platform. OneHub consists of 3 core products that focus on creating an exceptional employee experience: Benefits, Recognition and Home.
Benefits is their largest and most established product. Benefits offers fully customised benefits and rewards programmes to customers, that are designed to fit the needs of different employee needs within a business. The product supports over half a million users worldwide across 115 clients.
Recognition is a peer to peer platform that focuses on giving people that warm fuzzy feeling when a colleague tells you “good job”. It’s super personalised with recognition being in the form of a text, meme, video, or GIF. “Rewards” is a key part of the Recognition product, Rewards allows companies to assign budgets to teams or managers, that can then be used to say thanks in a tangible way. Benefex have teamed up with well known companies like Costa Coffee that means rather than just saying “well done” you can send the person a free coffee too using Rewards.
Home is the glue that connects each of the products within OneHub. Home is a facebook style landing page for an employee that allows them to access everything they need from one place, their “Home”. It has a social feed updating them on everything they could need to know: company news, colleagues, rewards. It houses all of their information: holidays, pension, sickness, appraisals
The product culture sets Benefex apart from pretty much every company within a 30 mile radius. They have that relentless startup focus of building an iconic product that people will love to use.
The Product Engineering function is structured in the Spotify model (Squads, Chapters, Tribes) to promote the core principles of Purpose, Autonomy and Mastery and allow for scalability.
The product culture is what you’d associate with tech startups in London:
- Building product with the needs of the user as a priority
- Building product that users want to use again and again
- Leveraging the latest technologies to push the boundaries of the product
- Continually taking insights from the thought leaders internally, combined with qualified user feedback, to constantly review and improve the product
Benefex use a modern and powerful stack, they are always looking at how they can leverage the latest technologies to bring move value to their users:
- Frontend: React.js, ES6, HTML, CSS.
- Mobile: iOS, Swift 5.
- Backend: REST API’s, Java 8, Spring Boot, Tomcat, MongoDB.
- Platform: Google Cloud, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Circle CI.
- QA: Automation testing, mainly API and UI automation, Java, Postman, Selenium.
Why is the role needed?
The need for the role is two-fold.
- You will join the Recognition team. Their current iOS Engineer in Poland is going to be finishing later this year. Recognition has a number of key priorities that need to be delivered on from a mobile perspective.
- The OneHub platform needs a more unified approach to iOS and cross platform development. The current iOS Engineer in Home is self taught and needs a mentor to work closely with so that Benefex can take a more consistent approach to iOS as the products evolve and expand.
As an iOS Engineer in the Recognition team, you will be a part of ensuring the development and operation of an exciting new, social peer-to-peer recognition and reward product. You will be directly contributing to our ability to provide a robust, global, multi-faceted OneHub Platform supporting a continuously evolving set of capabilities with zero downtime.
What will you be tasked with?
- Day to day you will be working in the Recognition squad driving the mobile agenda by working closely with their UX designer and the frontend team. To date, the focus has been on iPhone but the product needs to be scale across iPad, Apple TV and Apple Watch as well as Android. Having someone that understands the nuisances of cross platform will be key.
- Working with the other iOS Engineer to defined a unified approach to iOS. Looking at the architecture and scalability of iOS components and building out a shared style guide/component library.
- Mentoring the other iOS Engineer, helping him progress from Mid to Senior. Improving his depth of knowledge and decision making, helping him understand the subtle differences in cross platform development.
- Evaluate the current tech and tooling used for iOS and making improvements where needed. Benefex is looking to use SwiftUI and Swift Package Manager moving forwards.
Why you should be excited about this role:
- Having an immediate and wide impact, Benefex are looking for someone that can holistically mature their approach to mobile development. This will mean reviewing and enhancing their tech and tooling, people, process.
- Helping to set up an approach and structure to mobile that is scalable as the squads and mobile Chapter grow.
- Working on a product that has close to 100,000 users, and the product needs to expand across multiple devices.
- The opportunity to grow out the iOS.
What experience/skills Benefex would like to see:
- Designing, building and supporting iOS apps across multiple devices; understanding the nuisances between device types
- Contributing to or leading a shared approach to iOS development; architecture, design, tooling, style guides, component libraries
- Developing junior and/or mid iOS Engineers
- Technical skills:
- Swift v5
- Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines for iOS
- Agile delivery techniques
- Demonstrating an understanding of Protocol Oriented Programming, iOS design patterns and using Cocoapod Frameworks or ideally Swift Package Manager
- Demonstrating an understanding of internal iOS APIs including Foundation, UIKit, SwiftUI and CocoaTouch
With extra points for:
- Building your own iOS apps, blogging or any entrepreneurial flair
- Knowledge of and experience with programmatic use of Auto Layout
- Exposure to Fastlane and Fabric
- Experience consuming secured, Restful APIs
- Experience with DevOps; CI/CD using CircleCI, Docker
- Experience using Git/GitHub
- The iOS Chapter consists of one iOS Engineer, as the product family grows and more iOS Engineers are hired Benefex will be looking for someone to assume the Chapter Lead role, to mentor and guide the other engineers within the Chapter as their Line Manager.
- As the product suite expands the iOS Chapter will need to grow, you will take the lead on how the team grows and hiring.
- Self-development is heavily driven, so if you want to learn a new skill which will impact your work this is encouraged, whether this be training or attending an event. There is an allocated budget per person, and days taken for training or events are not taken as holiday!
- Salary: £60-65,000
- Benefits including 25 days holiday (plus your birthday off!)
- Work from home and flexible hours (1-2 days in the office per week). If you are in the office it’s in the centre of Southampton, a 5 minute walk from the train station and a car park just opposite
- Casual dress code
- Pension, up to 3% contribution match
- Healthcare, income protection, life assurance and access to our own award-winning online benefits scheme
3 stage interview process completed within 2 weeks.